Welcome to Puppies and Life! This blog is about my life as a teenage puppy raiser...enjoy!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Health Problems

So it seems little Petey has some health problems-namely, allergies.

Yesterday we spent the entire morning in Oakville-a great city, right Sam? ;) First we went to the vet, and then the foundation and then a mall, Oakville Place, to get lunch.

The vet's was quite an interesting experience. My poor baby had to get FOUR needles and TWO skin scrapes on his face! He was a good sport though, and the staff all wanted to take him home- I nearly let them! haha, no, I'm just kidding. The most interesting part was when a feral cat shot out of the room in front of us. I swear it blew a raspberry at me!! I don't think I've ever picked Petey up that fast before. Apparently, the clinic, in addition to working with Dogguides also works with an animal shelter-they were about to prep this cat to be spayed when it ran out. As we were leaving, they were trying to poke her out from under a shelf with a broom. Quite interesting.

Also, the vet said she wasn't sure if Petes was allergic to the Chicken and Rice so we switched him over to the Lamb and Rice and he's on antihistamines for 3 weeks. However, last night he broke out in red splotches all over, and I was convinced he was having a deadly reaction to the vaccines and freaked the hell out. Even more so when my parents didn't want to take him to the emergency vet. Good think Sam and Crystal were on MSN; they tried to rationalize me a bit :P (thanks guys! I owe you one!) I stayed up until 3 in the morning with him, and by morning it had gone down a little and by evening it had gone away completely.

BUT- yes there's always a but...and a butt for the most part (haha! Right..I'm sixteen, NOT six)- tonight when i gave him his antihistamine a few red splotches reappeared, though definitely not as severe as last night's so I'm wondering if he's slightly allergic to the antihistamine too. Or is he allergic to his Lamb and Rice Pro Plan diet? Sometimes it is so frustrating, but time will tell. The main thing I am worried about is if it is a severe allergy, because if it is there is a possibility he could be DQ'd for that, although I am trying to stay optimistic about it.

Anywho, after that we went to the foundation and picked up the Lamb and Rice. Petey found a stuffed tiger toy on the floor and he got to work killing it while we waited for our puppy supervisor. Also, while we were waiting for the receptionist to appear, my mom noticed some people in a room so she was like "hi, excuse me.." No response. So she tried again. Until we realized it was the HED class, and so of course nobody could hear her! Stupid me, I should have gone over to see if Crispy was there, but I didn't. Crispy is Amy's first foster puppy and will be graduating on THURSDAY!!

After that, we went to the mall to eat lunch where Petey was a hit with a few toddlers. He seems to attract many little kids and elderly people. We even met one woman who said she was interested in fostering as soon as her daughter got older.

In other news (how many people are left? Sorry for the long post), Petey lost his other front tooth so now it is extra cute, but he won't let me take any pictures because he is being a fussy brat tonight.

Well tomorrow we are off to represent the Lions Foundation and Jack Russells everywhere at the Sportsmen Show. Hopefully I will survive and be able to come back and tell you all about it :) I am quite worried I will get lost on the way there, but oh well. I'm adaptable...I can always become a bum and use Petey's cuteness as a means for getting money.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Petey is so cute! We wish we could play with him. Hope his skin is feeling better.

11:07 p.m.

 
Blogger *~Amy~* said...

Try not to worry too much Nat! I'm sure you will be able to isolate the alergy...eventually and then everything will be peachy! lol. See you tomorrow..well...I guess today considering it's 3am (I can't sleep). Anyways,

Buhbye, Amy & Polaris

12:22 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home