Welcome to Puppies and Life! This blog is about my life as a teenage puppy raiser...enjoy!

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Petey the Conehead

Looks like Petey has joined the Conehead Club, I hope Lomax and Calvin will give him a warm welcome! Long story not so short, in Petey's first assessment in Breslau two weeks ago, the vet suspected Petey of having mites, since he has been itching at his face and biting the tops of his paws for a while now. We were going to monitor him and wait til the next assessment to see what we should do, since the vet said she didnt' have the medicine there anyways.

Well it's been two weeks, and he's been losing fur on his face, so I got really worried and made my mom book an appointment with a Toronto vet since i didn't want to wait another three weeks for his Oakville appt.

At his vet appointment today, the vet said she was pretty sure it wasn't mites because the sypmtoms pointed to food allergies. So for now we are eliminating any treats for ten days to see if he is allergic to the treats or his Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. I will be calling the school on Monday to talk to his puppy supervisor.

My problem is that she coneheaded him because she was afraid that he would damage his eyes with all that scratching, and now he won't eat, drink or walk anywhere. When I'm not cuddling him, he just stands there, head down, tail between legs and looking really depressed. Have any of your dogs done that while coneheaded?

In happier news, I took him to a new mall today, one where I've seen a CVC and a HED before, and it went pretty well. It seems he is deathly scared of escalators so we will have to work on that and how he greets people. I was afraid we might be kicked out of the mall, so i was a bit nervous when i saw a security guard approaching. He let us carry on though, because I flashed him a radiant smile (or he smiled at Petey and walked away, but you know-whatever). Overall it was a good outing.

3 Comments:

Blogger 8675309 said...

Poor little Petey! Sorry about the cone, little man.

Yes, Lomax wasn't one to move around a lot when the dreaded e-collar was on, either. In fact, if I put it on him when he was standing, he would only sit down if he knew I was right there and he could lean against me! Terribly sad...and it took a lot of coaxing to get him to lie down.

Just keep giving him lots of love and cuddles and encouragement, and I'm sure he'll get through it just fine. Can you imagine having one of those things on YOUR head? What a nightmare.

7:00 p.m.

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Actually Jenny, I'm sad to say that i actually did try to put it around my neck. Um...yes, i do have a life :S

Just for the record, the hearing thing IS pretty wonky :D

2:23 p.m.

 
Blogger karla said...

Petey is freaking adorable, even despite the space-age conehead. And tell him not to feel bad--I'm scared of escalators too.

7:22 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home