Welcome to Puppies and Life! This blog is about my life as a teenage puppy raiser...enjoy!

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Confuzzled

I actually have a bit of Boss stuff to write about but right now I need to vent so that will have to wait til later ;)

Tonight my parents said that they would like to get a family pet (most likely a mini poodle). We haven't had a dog before I started raising so it would be our first dog. After they announced that, I had a tad of a psycho spazzout on them and started lecturing about midnight pees, food/vet/grooming costs, raising to be an obedient dog, take it to socialization/obedience classes and all that good stuff. This little lecture lasted all through dinner and afterwards they were just like "umm then maybe we won't get one.."

And now I feel really bad because I know I did the right thing by bringing up all that stuff but the way I did it made them feel like they wouldn't be able to raise a puppy. Which completely was not the way I meant it because I know they would be completely committed and love it to death, it's just that I wanted to make sure they knew what they were getting themselves into. (Geez isn't this lecture usually given by the parent??) I really would like them to have a dog because I've seen the difference in them between having one and not having one- they are a lot happier and less stressed and get more exercise....but again, I just can't let go of my worry of their actually raising a puppy.

What makes me feel even worse is that I know a huge part of my resistance to their plan is because I feel like puppyraising is MY thing and I won't be around to raise it/be in its life so to me it won't even feel like a family pet- it'll just feel like my parent and sister's dog. Which is completely selfish but there you go. Ugh, what a pickle. I want my parents to be happy and I know a dog will make them happy and I DO want them to get a puppy yet I want to be a control freak and raise the dog myself which is not possible because I will be away at university.

Le sigh. Anyways, thanks for listening and back to regularly scheduled puppy cuteness next post.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa and pups said...

Oh dear, If it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing once. (Only while I had Runza) I had to do a lot of backpedaling, and they did end up getting a dog and now are so in love with that pup. Okay, what I'm trying to say is... they still might get a dog! :) Good luck!

4:22 a.m.

 
Blogger K9-CRAZY said...

Why don't you offer to help find your parents a nice young adult that is past the puppy stage?

Most breeds have rescue clubs where the dogs are evaluated in foster homes. Breeders sometimes keep a dog as "pick of the litter" but if it doesn't develop as planned they'll sell the dog. A good breeder will take back a dog if it doesn't work out so sometimes they'll have an adult to place. With some investigation and time I bet you could find a very nice dog.

Just a few more options for you to think about :)

7:01 a.m.

 
Blogger Erin said...

Ha yess they are the ones supposed to be doing that to you!! lol
But I totally understand,I'm lecturing my dear father all the time about the proper way to care for Bubbles;etc..etc.. but alas he has his own theory and it normally results in an argument.
But all this is to say I FEEL YA GIRL!!!

Cause any dog that comes in this house...is mine.Sorry! :-)))

9:59 a.m.

 
Blogger Ayme, Polaris and Aspen said...

:) Why don't you get one next April. so then you'd be able to raise it for a little while, while you're home for the summer? then by the time summer is up.. the puppy will be nice a trained (mostly:P) plus you'll get good ol' fasioned bonning time with the puppy while youre sister is at school and you have nothing to do all day!
another thing: i think it's really good that they want a dog =) and don't worry about "whose dog it is" because everyone will love it the same. like Polaris is techically "mine" but my parents still take him for walks.. and my brothers still pet him (sometimes, lol) or play with him. so weither the dog is techically "yours" or not doesn't *really* matter because everyone normally looks after it or does something with it anyways.

You should get Aspen if she fails!! Your parents love her!! :)

11:48 a.m.

 
Blogger Ayme, Polaris and Aspen said...

oh! and if you're worried about them like doing something "wrong" or not training it right or something, just remember that it's NOT a future dog guide and if someone does one thing wrong it's not a huge deal. plus having your own dog means you can do soo much more! like let his sleep on the bed! or train him tricks! and you don't have to be so stricked

11:52 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home