Welcome to Puppies and Life! This blog is about my life as a teenage puppy raiser...enjoy!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dorky Post Ahead

For the first time in my life I was eligible to vote and I did! Although no one clapped for me like they did for Amy...

Still totally worth it though ;) I was never one to be very involved in politics but a few years ago I realized I was missing out on a huge piece of the world by not being educated on what the government was doing when they control so much of my life and the world around me. Also, I realized if I were to go into journalism I really needed to understand and know what was going on in our own government. So I started reading all the boring articles I used to skip in the newspaper, and sometimes I still do because seriously- some of them are narcolepsy-inducing. But I finally had a handle on what was going on in Ottawa and this year, I made an informed voting decision and although I didn't expect it, it felt really good to know I made a difference. Not to mention it felt REALLY good when the person I voted for won in my riding ;)

Also? Don't want to get too in depth into politics here, as this blog is supposed to be about adorable puppies and working dogs, but I just want to put it out there that I am NOT impressed with another Conservative minority government. And way to go Ontario- a traditional Liberal stronghold for the past decade and a half unexpectedly giving the Conservatives 51 seats? Way to vote for a party that espouses outdated ideology, has a terrible platform, and oh yeah- has not cared about you until they realized they kinda needed you to win. At least it's not a Conservative majority government. And for the record, Mr. Harper? Ordinary Canadian citizens DO care about the arts.

But anyways, there's my dorky PSA for everyone- get out there and VOTE. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in a democratic society. We have the right to pick who we want to govern and represent us. Don't take it for granted. Gratuitous cute puppy picture! (aka please still love me despite random boring political post)

p.s. Fun fact!: The fire alarm went off last night at 4 a.m. Do you know what it's like outside at 4 a.m. in October? The answer would be very, very cold.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Hey, you didn't talk about your reporting thing! I wanted to hear more about that.

Good PSA though, I lectured one of the girls at diving about not voting - supposedly it was the lowest voter turnout in many years. :(

Not in love with the results either. And I'm 0 for 2 now with my voting ... maybe next time. Liberals did end up winning in Guelph though ...

5:45 a.m.

 
Blogger Erin said...

wow I'm impressed, that sounded very...grown up..ha ha
Even though it allll went over my head. American politics are hard enough to deal with.

12:57 p.m.

 
Blogger Jake and Joanna said...

I am so proud, friend. So proud. :)

9:05 p.m.

 
Blogger Madison said...

Good PSA on getting people to vote! It's very important! Good Job!

12:54 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home