Welcome to Puppies and Life! This blog is about my life as a teenage puppy raiser...enjoy!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Petey Hits Ikea!

Yesterday, Petey and I went out for breakfast with our friends Brooke, her husband Huib and Brooke's CVC Cessna. This would mark the first time in two weeks that I haven't woken up at 7, took Petey out for a pee, gave him breakfast, and then gone back to sleep til ten! (Yes, Petey sleeps in too).

We went to Ikea, and it was very nice to get out of the house and actually go somewhere; the monotony of nothing to do during summer has already set in. We had a really good time chatting with Brooke and Huib, and Petey was really well behaved, heeling almost perfectly except for at one point.

We were heading to a table, me holding the tray and Petey's leash tightly in my left hand. I tried not to hold the tray too much with the left hand, in case Petey pulled, since there were breakables on the tray- the plate and the bottle of apple juice. (You can see what's coming can't you?) So when we almost reached a table, Petey tugged at his leash- up went the apple juice, flew down and shattered on the floor. There was an excellent soundtrack in the background with people gasping out loud, and then dead silence. Oh. My God. For a second, I tried to pretend that it actually didn't happen, at least to me, but sadly, it had happened. So I checked Petey over for cuts, and he was fine, thank god. Huib pushed a chair over the spill and we got someone to help clean it up.

Other than that, Petey was good- I was actually really proud of him, it was one of our best outings so far-heeling very well, didn't try to jump up on anyone, handled the elevator well, walked through the store without disturbing anything. And then when we came home he slept for 3 hours! I'm debating whether that was the best part of the trip or not.

As per my sister Emily's and my tradition, I took one of those paper rulers, for Petey's scrapbook, and today, I measured him with it. It took me twenty minutes to keep him lying still and not trying to eat the ruler I intended to save, but in the end it all worked out. Also, seeing as I am an idiot, I labelled it July 7, even though it's only July 6. Oh well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't grow longer between today and tomorrow!

*okay, i was going to show you four adorable pictures, but Blogger won't upload them!! I'll try again later...

3 Comments:

Blogger thepuppyraiser said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:56 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not fun being the center of attention when things aren't going as smooth as one would hope. Laugh it off-there'll be more 'oh darn' experiences through the years! Good to hear you both had a good day other than the breaking of the glass!

8:35 a.m.

 
Blogger JuliaR said...

I would never have dared to try the tray in the hand with Rockwell - he is so strong, he tows me behind him sometimes like I was on waterskis! People wonder if he will ever calm down and I say (hopefully), "of course he will!" With my fingers crossed.

He is staring at me right now from the landing on the stairs - because it is ONLY an hour until dinner time!

1:06 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home